Summarizing the HIPAA Privacy Rule
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule provides consumers with important privacy rights and protections concerning their health information. It is critical that providers understand when it is appropriate to share the protected health information of a patient who is being treated for a behavioral health condition. All healthcare providers are responsible for understanding and implementing HIPAA requirements. This course will increase healthcare providers’ knowledge of HIPAA privacy rules, how to best protect patient information, what information can be legally shared with others, and under what circumstances.
Author: Kimberly H. Fortin, LCSW-R
References / Contributions by:
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2022). Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).Retrieved December2022 https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/topic/hipaa.html#security-rule
- Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) (2022). Title 45. Subtitle A. Subchapter C. Part 160. Retrieved December 2022. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-45/subtitle-A/subchapter-C/part-160#
- Health and Human Services (2022). Model Notice of Privacy Practice. Retrived December 2022 https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/guidance/model-notices-privacy-practices
- Office for Civil Rights (OCR). (2022). Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule. Retrieved December 2022. https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html
CEU Course Objectives
- Identify what information is covered under the HIPAA privacy rule and what entities are expected to comply with the rule.
- Examine the requirements and permitted uses of disclosures of protected health information.
- Recognize what guidelines should be followed to communicate with others (e.g. family members, law enforcement, higher level of care personnel) in situations where patients present with an imminent threat to themselves or others.
CE Outline with Main Points
- What is HIPAA?
- What is The Privacy Rule?
- Covered Entities
- Protected Health Information
- Uses & Disclosures of Protected Health Information
- Notice & Individual Rights
- Administrative Requirements
- Organizational Options
- Personal Representatives and Minors
- State Laws
- Enforcement and Penalties for Noncompliance
- Appendix A: Notice of Privacy Practice
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 2.00 'General' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2023-05-16