HIPAA Privacy Rule and Sharing Information Related to Mental Health
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This course addresses some of the more frequently asked questions about when it is appropriate under the Privacy Rule for a health care provider to share the protected health information of a patient who is being treated for a mental health condition. In addition, relevant reminders about related issues, such as the heightened protections afforded to psychotherapy notes, a parent’s right to access protected health information, the applicability of Federal alcohol and drug abuse confidentiality, and the intersection of HIPAA and FERPA in a school setting will be discussed.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify instances when HIPAA permits health care providers to communicate with a patient’s family members, friends, or others involved in the patient’s care.
2. Discuss HIPAA guidelines concerning communication with family members when the patient is an adult and when it is permissible to communicate with the parent of a minor patient.
3. Evaluate when it is appropriate for health care providers to speak with family members, law enforcement, or others if the patient presents a serious and imminent threat of harm to self or others.
4. Clarify HIPAA provisions for enabling health care providers to listen to family members about their loved ones receiving mental health treatment and to discuss treatment adherence with them.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-12-12