Telehealth for Treating Serious Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Beginning
IAODAPCA CE Credit for Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, CFPP II, CVSS II
CE Course Description
In the wake of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, the use of telehealth services is on the rise. With that in mind, this course will review the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) guide, Telehealth for the Treatment of Serious Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders, in order to build awareness among health care professionals. Health care professionals may apply the concepts reviewed in this course to patient care in order to optimize patient outcomes.
Author: This publication was developed with significant contributions from Jan Lindsay, PhD and Alexis Marbach, MPH, PMP. The guide is based on the thoughtful input of SAMHSA staff and an Expert Panel on the use of telehealth modalities to treat serious mental illness and substance use disorder from October 2020 through April 2021.
Recommended Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Telehealth for the Treatment of Serious Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP21-06-02-001 Rockville, MD: National Mental Health and Substance Use Policy Laboratory. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2021.
References / Contributions by:
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2020). Mental illness. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/ mental-illness.shtml#:~:text=Two%20broad%20 categories%20can%20be,the%20NIMH%20 Health%20Topics%20Pages
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, June 10). Using telehealth services. https://www.cdc. gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/telehealth.html
- Center for Connected Health Policy. (2020). Remote patient monitoring (RPM). Public Health Institute. https://www.cchpca.org/about/about-telehealth/ remote-patient-monitoring-rpm
- Kichloo, A., Albosta, M., Dettloff, K., Wani, F., ElAmir, Z., Singh, J., Aljadah, M., Chakinala, R. C., Kanugula, A. K., Solanki, S., & Chugh, S. (2020). Telemedicine, the current COVID-19 pandemic and the future: A narrative review and perspectives moving forward in the USA. Family Medicine and Community Health, 8(3), e000530. https://doi. org/10.1136/fmch-2020-000530
Retrieved From: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/telehealth-for-treatment-serious-mental-illness-substance-use-disorders/PEP21-06-02-001?utm_source=SAMHSA&utm_campaign=440f8107b0-NEW_PUBLICATION_2021_06_29_1600082&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee1c4b138c-440f8107b0-168129853
CE Course Objectives
- Examine research regarding the integration of telehealth, while obtaining insight into serious mental illness (SMI), substance use disorder (SUD), and co-occurring disorder (COD).
- Evaluate evidence-based practices regarding telehealth.
- Recognize examples of programs that have implemented telehealth modalities for the treatment of SMI and SUD.
- Identify resources for evaluating telehealth-delivered practices, monitoring outcomes, and improving quality.
CE Outline with Main Points
- Evidence-Based Resource Guide Series Overview
- Issue Brief
- What Research Tells Us
- Guidance for Implementing Evidence-based Practices
- Examples of Telehealth Implementation in Treatment Programs
- Resources for Evaluation and Quality Improvement
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 3.00 'General' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2021-12-31