Treatment for Suicidal Ideation
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
Suicide, suicide attempts, self-harm, and suicidal ideation are significant public health concerns in young people. Suicide is now the second leading cause of death for adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 in the United States, and suicide attempts are significantly higher among youth, compared to adults. As a result, health care professionals are being asked to focus on suicide prevention and related treatment. With that in mind, this course reviews the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) guide, entitled Treatment for Suicidal Ideation, Self-harm, and Suicide Attempts Among Youth, to promote the prevention and treatment of suicidal ideation, self-harm, and suicide attempts among adolescents and young adult patients.
Author: This publication was developed with a significant contribution from Mary Cwik, Ph.D., and Leigh Fischer, MPH. The guidance is based on the thoughtful input of SAMHSA staff and the Expert Panel on Treatment for Suicidal Ideation, SelfHarm, and Suicide Attempts Among Youth from October 2019 through September 2020. A series of guide development meetings were held virtually over a period of several months.
Recommended Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Treatment for Suicidal Ideation, Self-harm, and Suicide Attempts Among Youth. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP20-06-01-002 Rockville, MD: National Mental Health and Substance Use Policy Laboratory. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2020.
- Ivey-Stephenson, A. Z., Demissie, Z., Crosby, A. E., Stone, D. M., Gaylor, E., Wilkins, N., Lowry, R., & Brown, M. (2020). Suicidal Ideation and Behaviors Among High School Students — Youth Risk Behavior Survey, United States, 2019. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 68(Suppl 1), 47- 55. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/su/ su6901a6.htm
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center. (2019). A strategic planning approach to suicide prevention. https://training.sprc.org/enrol/index.php?id=31
- Achenbach System of Empirically Based Assessment. (2020). School-Age (CBCL, TRF, YSR, BPM/6-18). https://aseba.org/school-age/
- Escoffery, C., Lebow-Skelley, E., Haardoerfer, R., Boing, E., Udelson, H., Wood, R., Hartman, M., Fernandez, M. E., & Mullen, P. D. (2018). A systematic review of adaptations of evidence-based public health interventions globally. Implementation Science, 13(1), 125. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012- 018-0815-9
CEU Course Objectives
- Evaluate research, while obtaining insight into the prevention and treatment of suicidal ideation, self-harm, and suicide.
- Identify programs associated with the treatment of suicidal ideation, self-harm, and suicide attempts among youth.
- Recognize methods for selecting and implementing evidence-based programs, as well as examples of suicide treatment programs.
- Examine resources for evaluation and quality improvement.
CE Outline with Main Points
- Issue Brief
- What Research Tells Us
- Guidance for Selecting and Implementing Evidence-based Programs
- Examples of Suicide Treatment Programs
- Resources for Evaluation and Quality Improvement
- Appendix: Evidence Review Methodology
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 - 01/03/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 2.00 'Clinical' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 1969-12-31