HIV Infected Women - Psychological Issues
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Although those working with women living with HIV focus primarily on the physical manifestations of the condition, this CE course examines the understanding of the psychosocial, cultural, mental health, and substance abuse issues faced by HIV infected women in order to optimize care and makes recommendations for social worker response, evaluation, and management. Working with adolescent and palliative care populations is also discussed.
Article Author: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services. A Guide to the Clinical Care of Women with HIV - 2013 Edition. Rockville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2013.
CE Course Objectives
1. List three gender norms that contribute to the spread of HIV infection.
2. Explain harm-reduction techniques for women who are IDUs.
3. Appraise three factors of the most vulnerable women.
4. Evaluate principles of bereavement support to care for patients and families.
5. Identify three triggers that may exacerbate an existing mental health disorder among women with HIV.
6. Describe the single most useful examination for substance abuse.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Psychosocial Issues, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse
a. Major Psychosocial and Cultural Issues Faced by Women with HIV Infection
b. Mental Health Issues
c. Specific Mental Health Conditions
e. Substance Abuse
a. HIV in Adolescents
c. Risk Factors
d. Issues in HIV Care for Adolescents
e. HIV Clinical and Psychosocial Care
f. Age Transitions
3. Palliative and Supportive Care
a. Therapy to Improve Quality of Life
b. HIV as a Chronic Disease
c. Pain and Nonpain Symptoms
d. Advanced Illness
e. Incorporating Principles of Palliative Care Into Everyday Practice
4. Occupational Exposure and Postexposure Management
a. HIV, HBV, and HCV Exposures Are Common
b. Universal Precautions to Prevent Exposure
c. Exposure and Transmission
d. Postexposure Assessment and Management
f. Follow-Up Postexposure Laboratory Monitoring
g. Hepatitis B and C Postexposure Management
h. HIV Infected Healthcare Providers
5. Quality Management
a. Improved Patient Care
b. Elements of a Quality Management Program
c. Case Study: Quality Improvement In Action
d. Sustaining Change and Spreading Ideas
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2017-12-28