Opioid Treatment Guidelines for Chronic Pain - Part 3
$21.00 | CE Hours:7.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The guidelines presented in this course provide healthcare providers with a framework by which to evaluate, treat, and manage the individual needs and preferences of patients with chronic pain who are on or being considered for long-term opioid therapy (LOT). This CE course gives a clear explanation of the logical relationships between various care options and health outcomes while rating both the quality of the evidence and the strength of the recommendation.
Article Author: The Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Work Group. (2017, February). VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain. Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense.
Dowell, D, Haegerich, TM, Chou, R. CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(1):1-49.
Hedegaard, H, Chen, LH, Warner, M. Drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin: United States, 2000-2013. NCHS Data Brief. Mar 2015(190):1-8.
Rudd, RA, Aleshire, N, Zibbell, JE, Gladden, RM. Increases in drug and opioid overdose deaths - United States, 2000-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;64(50-51):1378-1382.
Retrieved from: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the time of day that urine collection is most reliable.
2. Describe the procedure for converting one opioid to another.
3. Name three situations when significant methadone toxicity can occur.
4. Conclude in which situation opioid therapy trial can be initiated with caution.
5. Summarize three instances when opioid therapy should be tapered off and discontinued.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. VA Signature Informed Consent
2. Urine Drug Testing
a. Benefits of Urine Drug Testing
b. Types of Urine Drug Testing
3. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for Opioid Use Disorders
4. Drug Tables
a. Short-acting, Orally Administered Opioids
b. Long-acting / Extended-release Opioids
c. Morphine Milligram Equivalent Doses
d. Methadone Dosing Guidance
5. Evidence Review Methodology
a. Developing the Scope and Key Questions
b. Conducting the Systematic Review
c. Convening the Face-to-face Meeting
d. Grading Recommendations
e. Recommendation Categorization
f. Drafting and Submitting the Final Clinical Practice Guideline
6. Patient Focus Group Methods and Findings
b. Patient Focus Group Findings
7. Evidence Table
8. 2010 Recommendation Categorization Table
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2019-06-05