Treatment of Stimulant Use Disorders
$7.50 | CE Hours:1.50 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
Research presented by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) suggests that the prevalence of stimulant use disorder is on the rise, and becoming a public health crisis similar to the opioid epidemic. Therefore, health care professionals should possess insight into stimulant use disorder to effectively treat patients in need. This course reviews SAMHSA's evidence-based resource guide centered around treatment considerations for stimulant use disorder to provide health care professionals with the necessary insight to optimize patient care.
Author: This publication was developed with a significant contribution from Thomas Freese, PhD and Rucha Londhe, PhD. The guidance is based on the thoughtful input of Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration staff and the Expert Panel on Treatment of Stimulant Use Disorders from October 2019 through September 2020.
Recommended Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Treatment of Stimulant Use Disorders. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP20-06-01-001 Rockville, MD: National Mental Health and Substance Use Policy Laboratory. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2020.
References / Contributions by:
- Kariisa, M., Scholl, L., Wilson, N., Seth, P., & Hoots, B. (2019). Drug overdose deaths involving cocaine and psychostimulants with abuse potential - United States, 2003-2017. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 68(17), 388.
- Seth, P., Scholl, L., Rudd, R. A., & Bacon, S. (2018). Overdose deaths involving opioids, cocaine, and psychostimulants—United States, 2015–2016. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 67(12), 349.
- SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions. (n.d.). Standard framework for levels of integrated healthcare. Retrieved June 6, 2020, from https://www.thenationalcouncil.org/integratedhealth-coe/resources/
CEU Course Objectives
Identify practices associated with the treatment of stimulant use disorders.
Evaluate clinical issues to consider when treating stimulant use disorders.
Recognize implementation challenges and strategies, while obtaining insight into practice resources.
Examine examples of stimulant use treatment programs, while obtaining insight into resources for evaluation and quality improvement.
CE Outline and Main Points
- Chapter 1: Issue Brief
- Chapter 2: What Research Tells Us
- Chapter 3: Guidance for Selecting and Implementing Evidence-based Treatment Practices
- Chapter 4: Examples of Treatment Programs
- Chapter 5: Resources for Evaluation and Quality Improvement
- Appendix 1: Acknowledgments
- Appendix 2: Evidence Review Methodology
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 1969-12-31