Opioid Safety Guidelines
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
This CE course discusses the safety guidelines for chronic opioid therapy (COT) for patients with chronic non-cancer pain by examining: prescribing; management of patients with COT; tapering and discontinuation; treatment of withdrawal symptoms; and referral criteria.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss clinical skills and knowledge needed to provide safe and effective chronic opioid therapy (COT).
2. Summarize the adverse effects of opiates and differentiate between opioid dependence, tolerance, and addiction.
3. Analyze strategies to safely manage and monitor patients on COT, including prescribing considerations for clinicians.
4. Evaluate the clinical indications for tapering opioid therapy and identify medications that may be used to treat withdrawal symptoms.
5. Describe screening tools that may be used to assess pain and function, depression, and substance use issues among patients on COT.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-03-09