Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
Marriage and family therapists will inevitably face ethical dilemmas and predicaments, and they have an obligation to themselves, their clients, and the profession to be prepared to make sound, thoughtful decisions. The continuing education course, Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists, was developed to provide MFTs with information pertaining to ethical codes and standards and to present practical examples of how ethical dilemmas may impact therapists and clients. The process for pursuing ethical standards is discussed as well as specific issues such as confidentiality, informed consent, boundary violations, cultural competence, and dual relationships.
1. Identify fundamental assumptions that marriage and family therapist must consider when contemplating ethical standards and responsibilities.
2. Differentiate between boundary crossings and boundary violations, and discuss the harm and potential benefit that they may create.
3. Summarize how dual relationships and multiple roles may impact the therapeutic relationship,
4. Outline the principles of informed consent and confidentially, including how statements and agreements are used to clarify these standards.
5. Review the numerous competencies related to professional excellence and integrity, and describe possible outcomes if professional misconduct occurs.
6. Identify how MFTs monitor professional standards, model appropriate behavior, and maintain professional boundaries while in a supervisorial position.
7. Define cultural competence and identify how an MFT’s exposure to Western principles and concepts may be in opposition to values and beliefs of other cultures.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-11-12