Substance Use Disorder Treatment for Persons With Co-Occurring Disorders
$50.00 | CE Hours:10.00 | Beginning
Substance use disorders and mental disorders are detrimental to the health of individuals and to society as a whole. The tendency of the aforementioned disorders to co-occur can make the damage they cause more extensive and the treatment increasingly complex. With that in mind, the question is, how can individuals treat and manage those persons with co-occurring disorders? This course will answer that very question by reviewing a Treatment Improvement Protocol designed to optimize care.
Authors: An expert panel developed the content based on a review of the most up-to-date literature and on their extensive experience in the field of SUD treatment. Other professionals also generously contributed their time and commitment to this publication. Chair: Stanley Sacks, Ph.D. Director Center for the Integration of Research and Practice National Development and Research Institutes, Inc
Recommended Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Substance Use Disorder Treatment for People With Co-Occurring Disorders. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 42. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP20-02-01-004. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2020
- Abroms, M., & Sher, L. (2016). Dual disorders and suicide. Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 12(2), 148–149.
- Baum, N. (2016). Secondary traumatization in mental health professionals: A systematic review of gender findings. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse,17(2), 221–235.
- Fountoulakis, K. N., Grunze, H., Vieta, E., Young, A., Yatham, L., Blier, P., … Moeller, H. J. (2017). The International College of Neuropsychopharmacology (CINP) treatment guidelines for bipolar disorder in adults (CINP-BD-2017), Part 3: The clinical guidelines. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, 20(2), 180–195
- Recognize substance use disorder and co-occurring disorder-related concepts.
- Identify principles for working with people who have co-occurring disorders, while obtaining insight into screening and assessment methods for co-occurring disorders.
- Examine mental and substance-related disorders, diagnostic criteria, symptoms, and related concepts.
- Recall strategies for working with special populations and people who have co-occurring disorders.
- Evaluate treatment models, medications, and settings for people with co-occurring disorders, while distinguishing workforce and administrative concerns related to co-occurring disorder treatment.
CE Outline with Main Points
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Substance Use Disorder
Treatment for People With Co-Occurring Disorders
- Chapter 2: Guiding Principles for Working
With People Who Have Co-Occurring Disorders
- Chapter 3: Screening and Assessment of Co-Occurring Disorders
- Chapter 4: Mental and Substance-Related
Disorders: Diagnostic and Cross-Cutting Topics
- Chapter 5: Strategies for Working With
People Who Have Co-Occurring Disorders
- Chapter 6: Co-Occurring Disorders Among Special Populations
- Chapter 7: Treatment Models and Settings for People With Co-Occurring Disorders
- Chapter 8: Workforce and Administrative Concerns in Working With People Who Have Co-Occurring Disorders
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 1969-12-31