Human Services for At-Risk LGBT Populations
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
Young people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual or whose behavior does not conform to societal gender norms are more likely to experience maltreatment by parents, guardians, or other adults compared to non-LGB and gender conforming children and adolescents. This CEU course addresses the risk of experiencing child maltreatment among LGBT people, including people who are questioning or unsure of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity; experiences of LGBT youth in child welfare programs; the effectiveness of child welfare services for LGBT youth in foster care; and the participation of LGBT adults in child welfare programs as foster or adoptive parents. In addition, this course looks at the risk of homelessness or adverse sexual health outcomes among LGBT youth and the prevalence of poverty and economic vulnerability among LGBT populations.
Article Author: The Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the challenges that the collection and analysis of data on sexual orientation and gender pose.
2. Investigate the types of studies needed to explore perceptions among LGBT groups of the supportiveness of services for LGBT youth.
3. Examine the problems that LGBT homeless youth may experience at higher rates compared to their non-LGBT counterparts.
4. Identify the practices that child welfare experts and practitioners have recommended to improve services for young LGBT people.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Added On: 2015-12-20