LGBT Populations - Recovery from Addiction and Mental Health Problems
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
Due to the age of the material, this course will be discontinued from our library on 03/25/2020.
Illinois Specific Approvals: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II
CEU Course Description
This course discusses the following topic areas with regard to the LGBT population, addiction, and mental health: family rejection and acceptance; coming out; LGBT-related stress; trauma; suicide; person-level factors related to recovery; system and contextual factors related to recovery; and recommendations for action from participants.
Article Author: CMHS National Advisory Council - Advisory biographies and credentials
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Identify issues that LGBT populations face that place them at substantially greater risk for substance use and mental health problems.
2. Discuss specific factors at the individual and systems levels that can promote or hinder recovery for LGBT individuals.
3. Review core themes related to LGBT individuals’ particular vulnerabilities and experiences that affect their overall health and wellness, including family rejection and acceptance.
4. Evaluate how stress and trauma experienced by LGBT persons negatively impact their mental health and their willingness to seek and access care.
5. Summarize concrete actions that have been recommended to SAMHSA and other stakeholders to advance recovery opportunities for LGBT people.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-01-15