Care of the Patient with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
$30.00 | CE Hours:6.00 | Advanced
CE Course Description
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a leading cause of disability worldwide. It is caused by a bump or blow to the head that affects how the brain normally works (National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2008). Because nurses are frequently the professionals who see the full impact of TBI and have the skills that can alter the course of a patient’s recovery, it is important for nurses to have a valuable resource to help them achieve the best possible outcomes.
This guideline helps translate the latest research into an easy-to-use reference. The purpose of this document is to provide recommendations based on current evidence that will help registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, and institutions provide safe and effective care to injured patients with a mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI).
CE Course Objectives
1. Define the terms mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) and concussion while describing symptoms and frequency of occurrence.
2. Identify biochemical and biomolecular responses to MTBI as well as physiological differences related to age.
3. Differentiate between the various types of magnetic resonance technologies used in MTBI/concussion.
4. Evaluate the role of the nurse and other health care professionals in assessing and caring for MTBI patients.
5. Describe patient problems, rehabilitation issues, and expected outcomes for those with mild traumatic brain injury.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-04-26