Substance Abuse Treatment for Women
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course provides gender-specific factors that significantly influence treatment retention of women, and includes women’s treatment issues and needs, parenting issues and treatment needs, and co-occurring disorders that are most prevalent among women and are likely to require attention during the course of treatment. Significant consideration is give to trauma, trauma-informed services, and integrated treatment for women with trauma-related symptoms and substance use disorders. (Updated and extracted from TIP 51.)
Article Author: Norma Finkelstein, Ph.D., M.S.W., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss why women may need education and medication monitoring initially to ensure they are taking their antidepressant medications as prescribed.
2. Explain how effective therapeutic styles are best characterized.
3. Investigate the factors that play a significant role in retention.
4. Examine counselor characteristics women have identified that they believe contribute to treatment success.
5. Identify major trauma-related clinical issues that counselors need to address or attend to during the course of treatment.
6. Describe what it means to be trauma-informed.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-08-11