Child Abuse & Neglect - Recognizing Signs and Symptoms
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
***This course will be expiring on 10/28/2021. After this date, you will be unable to take this course for renewal credit.***
CEU Course Description
This course addresses abuse and neglect by looking at: the legal definition; federal law related to child abuse. Assessing the signs and symptoms; what is known about chronic neglect; ways to work with families experiencing chronic neglect, including critical elements of successful casework practice; examples of what agencies are doing and ways agencies can integrate child welfare approaches to chronic neglect with prevention and early intervention efforts.
Also discussed are the the long-term physical, psychological, behavioral, and societal consequences of child abuse and neglect; and the importance of prevention as a critical component of the nation’s child protection system will be looked at by outlining programs and strategies that are proving beneficial in reducing the likelihood of child maltreatment.
Article Author: Child Welfare Information Gateway, JooYeun Chang, J.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Differentiate between child abuse and neglect, including how they are defined in Federal law.
2. Review current child abuse and neglect statistics as well as how childhood trauma impacts well-being.
3. Discuss the major types of child abuse and neglect while determining how to recognize signs and symptoms of maltreatment.
4. Identify the challenges associated with chronic neglect and give examples of promising interventions and evidence-informed programs that offer help.
5. Summarize the long-term physical, psychological, behavioral, and societal consequences of child abuse and neglect.
6. Describe the history of child abuse prevention, progress made, and promising prevention strategies.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-09-11