PTSD and Sleep
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
CE Course Description
PTSD is unique among mental health disorders in that sleep problems represent two of the diagnostic criteria. This CE course explores how, although sleep problems are symptoms of PTSD, the evidence suggests that they tend to become independent problems over time, warranting sleep-focused assessment and treatment. Efficacious treatment options, both medications and forms of cognitive-behavioral therapy, are discussed.
Author: Philip Gehrman, Ph.D., et al. National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. (2016). Volume 27, Number 4.
Retrieved from: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/newsletters/research-quarterly/V27N4.pdf
CE Course Objectives
1. Name four pieces of evidence that have changed the original view of insomnia and recurrent nightmares being thought of as symptoms of PTSD.
2. Summarize the preferred treatment approach for insomnia.
3. Identify which biomarker can be used for identifying Veterans with combat-related PTSD who are likely to benefit from prazosin.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Prevalence and Consequences of Sleep Problems
2. Treatment of Sleep Problems in PTSD
b. Cognitive Behavioral Treatments
c. Group Treatment
3. Featured Articles
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2018-10-01