Child Welfare and Human Trafficking
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
This course is NOT approved in Florida for Human Trafficking credit.
CE Course Description
Often, the lack of stability in a child’s living situation, physical distance from friends and family, and emotional vulnerability put them at risk for traffickers who are actively seeking children and teens to exploit. This CE course provides a broad overview of the crossover between the child welfare field and the work currently being done to prevent and respond to human trafficking of children and youth in the United States.
Author: Child Welfare Information Gateway. (2015). Child welfare and human trafficking. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Children's Bureau.
Retrieved from: https://www.childwelfare.gov/catalog/serieslist/?CWIGFunctionsaction=publicationCatalog:main.dspSeriesDetail&publicationSeriesID=8
CE Course Objectives
1. List three needs of victims of trafficking.
2. Explain who is considered a victim of sex trafficking.
3. Summarize what needs to be demonstrated in order to prove labor trafficking of a child.
4. Appraise how children and youth who are victims of trafficking can often be distinguished from other children who receive child welfare services.
5. Identify five signs that a child or teen is a victim of sex trafficking.
6. Describe what makes children and youth in out-of-home care at particularly high risk of being trafficked.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Definitions and statistics
a. Definitions of trafficking
b. Numbers of children and youth who are trafficked
c. Crossover with child welfare
2. Federal legislation and initiatives on trafficking and child welfare
a. Federal legislation
b. White House
c. A coordinated approach
d. Department of health and human services
e. Department of Homeland Security
f. Department of Justice
g. Department of State
3. Victims and their needs
a. Identifying victims
b. Screening victims
c. The needs of children and youth who have been trafficked
4. State and local efforts to help victims
a. State "Safe Harbor" legislation on Trafficking
b. State child welfare efforts to address trafficking
c. Children's Bureau grants to address trafficking at State and local levels
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2017-08-09