Suicide Prevention in Senior Living Communities
$15.00 | CEU Hours:5.00 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
This course provides an understanding of suicide prevention in senior living communities by raising awareness of the issue of suicide among older adults and learning how to recognize and respond to a resident who is at risk of suicide. This course emphasizes the importance of paying attention to residents' behaviors and emotions as well as the importance of communicating concerns about residents to other staff. In addition, strategies to prevent suicide in senior living communities will be addressed by providing detailed guidance on understanding whether a resident is in danger of attempting suicide and steps that should be taken to prepare for a suicide attempt or death before a crisis. Finally, residents and their family are provided an overview of emotional health among older adults, describing the warning signs of depression and suicide, providing guidance on how to respond to these warning signs, and describing how residents and their families can take advantage of senior living community activities and programs that promote emotional health.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss how to recognize when a resident may be in danger of attempting to take his or her own life.
2. Examine how to help a resident who is in danger of suicide.
3. Explain how to promote the emotional health of all residents while also protecting them from suicide.
4. Investigate how to learn more about resident’s suicide risk by talking with them.
5. Examine how risk factors, such as depression, contribute to suicide risk.
6. Identify what to do in the event of a suicide or suicide attempt.
7. Describe depression and the importance of seeking professional help.
8. Elucidate the warning signs that indicate an older adult may be thinking about taking his or her life.
9. Discuss which everyday activities can help improve the emotional well-being of older adults.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: email@example.com.