Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment-Updated
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
*ICB Credit for Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II
Due to the age of the material, this course will be discontinued from our library on 8/3/2018.
Illinois Specific Approvals: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, MISA I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, NCRS I or II, CFPP II
CE Course Description
This update of the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment is intended to address addiction to a wide variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs. It is designed to serve as a resource for healthcare providers, family members, and other stakeholders trying to address the myriad problems faced by patients in need of treatment for drug abuse or addiction.
Article Author: National Institute on Drug Abuse, Nora D. Volkow, M.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss how drugs of abuse alter the brain’s structure and function, and how this leads to behavioral consequences.
2. Describe how matching treatment settings, interventions, and services to an individual’s needs and making treatment readily available are critical for drug addicted clients.
3. Outline the various behavioral therapies and medications used to treat drug-addicted individuals.
4. Identify steps to assess and address co-occurring mental disorders and infectious diseases that may occur along with drug addiction.
5. Evaluate the costs, usual duration, and effectiveness of drug-addiction treatment.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.