Issues of LGBTQ in Substance Abuse Treatment for Social Workers
$9.00 | CEU Hours:3.00 | Beginning
CEU Course Description
For social workers to deliver skilled care to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clients, they need to be aware of issues specific to the LGBTQ community. This CEU course provides an overview of the use and abuse of substances in the LGBTQ community, presents information to help social workers understand cultural issues relevant to treating LGBTQ clients, examines ways programs can safeguard information about clients’ substance abuse histories, and advises on approaches of care relevant to the LGBTQ populations.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2012). A Provider's Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Rockville, MD.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/A-Provider-s-Introduction-to-Substance-Abuse-Treatment-for-Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-and-Transgender-Individuals/SMA12-4104
CEU Course Objectives
1. Summarize three topics social workers should regularly direct attention to when working with the LGBTQ community.
2. Explain what social workers need to be aware of when communicating with American Indians and Alaska Natives.
3. Consider the clinical issues facing bisexuals and what these issues often result from.
4. Develop the key concept in understanding issues facing gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals in substance abuse treatment.
5. Identify for which substance there is compelling evidence that HIV and hepatitis C infections are linked with its use.
6. Describe a culturally competent model of treatment.
CEU Outline with Main Points
1. An Overview for Providers Treating LGBT Clients
a. The epidemiology of substance abuse among the LGBT population
b. The types of substances abused
c. Definitions of key terms
d. Characteristics of LGBT individuals
e. How differences in LGBT life experiences may shape the substance abuse issues
f. Life cycle issues for LGBT individuals
2. Cultural Issues in Working with LGBT Individuals
a. What cultural competence is
b. How cross-cultural issues affect substance abuse treatment
c. What the dimensions of culture are
d. Treatment issues that are unique to different ethnic groups
e. Perspectives on gay culture
3. Legal Issues for Programs Treating LGBT Clients
a. How programs can protect the confidentiality of LGBT clients
b. The legal barriers facing LGBT individuals
c. The legal issues raised by HIV / AIDS
d. What policies programs should adopt to ensure that clients and staff are fairly treated
4. Overview of Treatment Approaches, Modalities, and Issues of Accessibility in the Continuum of Care
a. The special issues that need to be addressed in working with LGBT individuals
b. The levels of care and the types of treatment that appear to work bst for LGBT individuals
c. The major issues of accessibility related to substance abuse treatment for LGBT populations
d. How a program can be made accessible for LGBT populations
Date Added: 2017-12-20
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.