Anger Management: A Cognitive Behavioral Approach (Update)
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Anger and substance use disorders often co-occur, increasing the risk for negative consequences such as physical aggression, self-harm, distressed relationships, loss of a job, or criminal justice involvement. This CE course describes a 12-week cognitive-behavioral anger management group treatment mode to allow professionals who treat clients with mental and substance use disorders to deliver group cognitive-behavioral anger management treatment.
Author: Reilly, P.M., & Shopshire, M.S. Anger Management for Substance Use Disorder and Mental Health Clients: A Cognitive–Behavioral Therapy Manual. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP19-02-01-001. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2019.
References / Contributions by:
Coccaro, E.F., Berman, M.E., & McCloskey, M. (2017). Development of a screening questionnaire for DSM-5 intermittent explosive disorder (IED-SQ). Comprehensive Psychiatry, 74, 21–26.
Cuijpers, P., Cristea, I.A., Karyotaki, E., Reijnders, M., & Huibers, M.J.H. (2016). How effective are cognitive behavior therapies for major depression and anxiety disorders? A meta-analytic update of the evidence. World Psychiatry, 15, 245–258.
Fernandez, E., Malvaso, C., Day, A., & Guharajan, D. (2018). 21st century cognitive behavioural therapy for anger: A systematic review of research design, methodology and outcome. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 46(4), 385–404.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Anger-Management-for-Substance-Abuse-and-Mental-Health-Clients-A-Cognitive-Behavioral-Therapy-Manual/PEP19-02-01-001
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude the primary objective of anger management treatment.
2. Explain the cause of anger.
3. Evaluate a desirable alternative of aggressive behavior from an anger management perspective.
4. List four situations where anger is a natural response.
5. Summarize the first step involved in the Conflict Resolution Model.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Manual
a. Overview of Group Anger Management Treatment
b. Events and Cues: A conceptual Framework for Understanding Anger
c. Anger Control Plans: Helping Group Members Develop a Plan for Controlling Anger
d. The Aggression Cycle: How To Change the Cycle
e. Cognitive Restructuring: The A-B-C-D Model and Thought Stopping
f. Practice Session #1: Reinforcing Learned Concepts
g. Assertiveness Training and the Conflict Resolution Model: Alternatives for Expressing Anger
h. Anger and the Family: How Past Learning Can Influence Present Behavior
i. Practice Session #2: Reinforcing Learned Concepts
j. Closing and Graduation: Closing Exercise and Awarding of Certificates
2. Participant Workbook
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-11-18