Prevention of Hepatitis B Infection in the US
$9.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Persons with chronic Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection are at increased risk for cirrhosis and liver cancer and require medical care. This CE course summarizes and consolidates previously published recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and CDC. It also contains updates to recommendations for the prevention of HBV infection in the United States.
Author: Schillie, S., Vellozzi, C., Reingold, A., et al. (2018, January). Prevention of Hepatitis B Virus Infection in the United States: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep 2018; 67(No. RR-1).
CDC. Viral hepatitis - statistics and surveillance. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2017.
Rubin LG, Levin MJ, Ljungman P, et al.; Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2013 IDSA clinical practice guideline for vaccination of the immunocompromised host. Clin Infect Dis 2014;58:e44-100.
Schillie S, Murphy TV, Fenlon N, Ko S, Ward JW. Update: shortened interval for postvaccination serologic testing of infants born to hepatitis b-infected mothers. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015;64:1118-20.
Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/index.html
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the four phases of chronic HBV infection.
2. Determine which population accounts for approximately 95% of newly reported chronic infections in the United States.
3. Estimate for how long HBV remains viable on environmental surfaces.
4. Identify the primary site of HBV replication in the body.
5. Name two reasons why transmission of HBV from transfusion of blood or blood products is rare.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. New or Updated Recommendations
3. HBV Background
4. Prophylaxis Against HBV Infection
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-07-15