Physical Detoxification from Substances
$27.00 | CE Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Overview
This course, a chapter extracted from Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 45. Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, highlights specific treatment regimens for specific substances and provides guidance on the medical, nursing, and social services aspects of these treatments. Substances covered are alcohol, benzodiazepines and other sedative- hypnotics, stimulants, inhalants-solvents, nicotine, THC containing drugs, anabolic steroids, and club drugs. It also includes what should be considered for specific populations.It also contains definitions for technical terms related to the topic.
CE Course Objectives
1) Be able to identify symptoms of intoxication with and withdrawal from the substances covered in this course.
2) Understand the pros and cons of managing detoxification with and without medications, and be able to determine the best approach for most situations.
3) Be familiar with the most common medications used to manage symptoms of withdrawal from the substances covered in the course.
4) Know the benefits and drawbacks of drugs used to manage withdrawal symptoms.
5) Know and be prepared for common medical complications associated with detoxification from the substances covered in the course.
6) Be able to assist in the support of people undergoing a detoxification process.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-10-04