Human Services for Low Income and At Risk LGBT Populations
$36.00 | CE Hours:12.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
The social and legal environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people in the United States is changing rapidly. This CEU course provides the results of an assessment of research needs related to human services for LGBT people. The assessment aims to determine what is known and what needs to be learned in the areas of socioeconomic characteristics and risks among LGBT populations, their current participation in human services, and strategies for serving these populations effectively. This course defines and concentrates on low-income LGBT populations and programs to support economic security; LGBT populations and the child welfare system; and LGBT youth and programs to support them.
Article Author: The Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the suggested training topics for caseworkers, foster parents, and other caregivers.
2. Explain the issues that services to support permanency for LGBT youth may need to specifically address.
3. Investigate factors that promote resilience for LGBT youth.
4. Examine the characteristics of child welfare agencies that may lead to services and referrals that are inadequate or inappropriate for LGBT youth.
5. Discuss what was identified by the Institute of Medicine as a primary source of barriers to accessing health care for the LGBT populations.
6. Describe the subgroups of bisexuals that appear to have higher poverty rates than their heterosexual counterparts.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-01-06