LEP Guide for Improving Patient Safety
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
This course is approved for Nurses in Florida for Medical Errors credit.
CEU Course Description
This course focuses on how hospital leaders and other hospital staff can better identify, report, monitor, and prevent medical errors in patients with limited English proficiency. In addition, a training module that teaches a set of team behaviors and structured communication tools designed to reduce medical errors for LEP patients is included.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss liability exposures when providing care to LEP populations.
2. Enumerate the quality and cost driven reasons for support of work in patient safety for LEP patients.
3. Explain an immediate strategy that can be implemented to prevent medical errors among LEP patients.
4. Investigate the key recommendations to address high-risk scenarios and how each recommendation would prevent dangerous conditions.
5. Examine what the Joint Commission standards require hospitals to do for LEP patients.
6. Scrutinize what has been identified as causes of errors, or potential errors, for LEP and culturally diverse patients.
7. Define the most important key condition for the predicted effectiveness of patient safety reporting systems.
8. Elucidate dangers associated with using non-qualified interpreters, including family members, friends, or untrained staff and how this puts the patients and the care facility at risk.
9. Identify what are considered high-risk clinical situations that need immediate attention to prevent adverse events among LEP patients.
10. Describe the roles of the interpreter and at which steps the interpreter should be involved in the care process of LEP patients.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-11-24