Drug Cultures and the Culture of Recovery
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Due to the age of the material, this course will be discontinued from our library on 01/31/2020.
Note: This course was extracted from SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) Treatment Improvement Protocol Manual #59 Improving Cultural Competence. Please refer to the original manual for references and appendices.
CEU Course Description
This course identifies drug cultures as a domain that requires proficiency in clinical skills, programmatic development, and administrative practices. It explores drug cultures in regards to: their concept; their relationship to mainstream culture; their values and rituals; and how and why people value their participation in such cultures. This course goes on to describe how counselors can determine a client’s level of involvement in, and identify and develop alternatives to their drug cultures, along with the importance of assisting clients in developing a culture of recovery.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Andrea Kopstein, Ph.D., M.P.H., Karl D. White, Ed.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Define what a drug culture is, what it stands for, and how it pertains to certain groups in society.
2. Discuss how drug cultures differ from each other.
3. Enumerate the factors involved in youth seeking out substance use.
4. Explain the most important motive for dealing drugs among relatively affluent college students.
5. Investigate the problems associated with continued substance use and obtaining treatment for people with substance use disorders that experience discrimination.
6. Examine the instrumental and social functions that substance-related rituals serve for those using drugs.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-11-22