Opioid Use Disorder: Pharmacotherapy - Part 2
$15.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The United States is experiencing an opioid addiction epidemic. This CE course describes general principles of opioid use disorder (OUD) pharmacotherapy and discusses medication formulations, indications, and dosing for the FDA-approved medication used to treat OUD - buprenorphine. Patient management and monitoring in outpatient settings other than opioid treatment programs as well as medical management of patients with OUD in hospital settings are also discussed.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medications for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-63-Medications-for-Opioid-Use-Disorder-Executive-Summary/SMA18-5063EXSUMM
CE Course Objectives
1. Give five indications that a patient is suitable for home induction.
2. Judge which OUD medication can be used during pregnancy.
3. Consider three indications that medically supervised withdrawal using buprenorphine is appropriate for patients.
4. List three laboratory tests that should be conducted before buprenorphine is prescribed.
CE Outline with Main Points
d. Dosing Considerations
e. Initiating Buprenorphine Treatment
f. Duration of Buprenorphine Treatment
2. Medical Management Strategies for Patients Taking OUD Medications in Office-Based Settings
a. Patient Selection
b. Patient Management and Treatment Monitoring
c. Administrative Considerations
d. Emergency Protocols and Patient Safety Measures
e. Recommendations for Staff Member Training
3. Medical Management of Patients Taking OUD Medications in Hospital Settings
a. Hospital Settings
b. Hospitalized or ED Patients Taking Medication for OUD
c. Hospitalized or ED Patients Not Taking Medication for OUD
d. Medical Management Plan
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-02