Addiction - Neurobiology, Prevention, and Treatment - Part 1
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course explains the neurobiological basis for substance use disorders and provides the biological, psychological, and social frameworks for improving diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of alcohol and drug misuse. Evidence-based prevention strategies, effective treatment strategies, and recovery support services are also described in this course.
Author: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of the Surgeon General, Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General's Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health. Washington, DC: HHS, November 2016.
Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. (2016). Results from the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed Tables. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
Rudd, R.A., Aleshire, N., Zibbel, J.E., & Gladden, R.M. (2016). Increases in drug and opioid overdose deaths - United States, 2000-2014. MMWR, 64(50), 1378-1382.
Dowell, D., Haegerich, T.M., & R., C. (2016). CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States. MMWR, 65(1), 1-49.
Retrieved from: https://www.hhs.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Investigate what research suggests to do to address the problem of fatal medication errors due to interactions between a prescribed medication for a diagnosed medical condition and patient substance use.
2. Scrutinize the single factor that will determine whether an individual will develop a substance misuse problem or disorder.
3. Identify when the likelihood of substance use peaks.
4. Describe where the negative feelings associated with withdrawal are thought to come from.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Introduction and Overview
a. Prevalence of Substance Use, Misuse Problems, and Disorders
b. Costs and Impact of Substance Misuse
c. Vulnerability to Substance Misuse Problems and Disorders
d. Diagnosing a Substance Use Disorder
e. The Separation of Substance Use Treatment and General Health Care
f. Recent Changes in Health Care Policy and Law
g. Marijuana: A Changing Legal and Research Environment
2. The Neurobiology of Substance Use, Misuse, and Addiction
a. Conducting Research on the Neurobiology of Substance Use, Misuse, and Addiction
b. The Primary Brain Regions Involved in Substance Use Disorders
c. The Addiction Cycle
d. Binge / Intoxication Stage: Basal Ganglia
e. Withdrawal / Negative Affect Stage: Extended Amygdala
f. Factors that Increase Risk for Substance Use, Misuse, and Addiction
g. Use of Multiple Substances and Co-occurring Mental Health Conditions
h. Biological Factors Contributing to Population-based Differences in Substance Misuse and Substance Use Disorders
3. Prevention Programs and Policies
a. Why We Should Care About Prevention Risk and Protective Factors
b. Risk and Protective Factors
c. Types of Prevention Interventions
d. Evidence-based Prevention Programs
e. Evidence-based Community Coalition-based Prevention Models
f. Evidence-based Prevention Policies
g. Prevention Interventions for Specific Populations
h. Improving the Dissemination and Implementation of Evidence-based Programs
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-07