Verbal De-escalation of the Agitated Patient
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
CE Course Description
Agitation is an acute behavioral emergency requiring immediate intervention. Verbal de-escalation is usually the key to engaging the patient and helping them become an active partner in their evaluation and treatment. This CE course details the proper foundations for appropriate training for de-escalation and provides intervention guidelines, using the “10 domains of de-escalation.”
Article Author: Janet Richmond, MSW, et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain the main objectives when working with an agitated patient.
2. Investigate the body language the clinician should use with an agitated patient.
3. Examine ways to agree with a patient.
4. Scrutinize the distance the clinician should maintain between themselves and the patient.
5. Identify the most essential skill at verbal de-escalation.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-09-14