Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment (Updated) - Part 2
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Suicide is a leading cause of death among people who abuse alcohol and drugs. This CE course presents the “what” and “why” of working with clients with substance use disorders who have suicidal thoughts and/or behaviors. In addition, the rational for the approach described is examined along with an understanding of how administrators can provide support for programs and counselors as they address clients’ suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Lastly, detailed information is provided on how to achieve high-quality implementation of the recommendations given.
Author: Centers for Substance Abuse Treatment. (2015). Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 50. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 15-4381. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
American Association of Suicidology. (2006). Assessment and management of suicide risk: Core competencies for mental health professionals. Participant mannual. Washington, DC: Education Development Center.
Bossarte, R. M., Simon, T. R., and Barker, L. (2006). Characteristics of homicide followed by suicide incidents in multiple states, 2003-04. Injury Prevention, 12, ii33-ii38.
Gutheil, T. G., and Brodsky, A. (2008). Preventing boundary violations in clinical practice. New York: Guildford Press.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-50-Addressing-Suicidal-Thoughts-and-Behaviors-in-Substance-Abuse-Treatment/SMA15-4381
CE Course Objectives
1. List three items that should be included on the risk management plan that addresses the needs of clients who are suicidal.
2. Compare and contrast the four different levels of programs.
3. Identify who is typically the "go-to" staff when a counselor suspects that a client is suicidal.
4. Define "standard of care."
5. Summarize the goal of agency policy for managing clients who are acutely suicidal.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. The Administrative Response to Suicidality in Substance Abuse Treatment Settings
a. Consensus Panel Recommendations for Administrators
b. The Benefits of Addressing Suicidality in Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
c. Why Should Administrators Be Involved in a Clinical Issue?
d. Levels of Program Involvement and Core Program Components
e. The Role of Administrators in Implementing and Supporting Programming for Clients With Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
f. The Role of Mid-Level Staff in Implementing and Supporting Programming for Clients With Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
g. Legal and Ethical Issues in Addressing Suicidality in Substance Abuse Programs
2. Building a Suicide Prevention- and Intervention-Capable Agency
a. Organizational Assessment
b. Organizational Planning for Becoming a Level 2 Program
c. Program Implementation
d. Helping Your Program Develop and Improve Capabilities in Working With Clients Who Are Suicidal
e. Helping Your Agency Develop and Improve Its Response to Suicidal Crises
f. Building Administrative Support for All Levels of GATE
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-08-20