HIPAA: Secure Electronic Health Records
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Everyone has a role to play in the privacy and security of electronic health information. This CE course helps social workers better understand how to integrate federal health information privacy and security requirements into their practices.
Author: Guide to Privacy and Security of Electronic Health Information. The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. 2015.
CE Course Objectives
1. Name three items that must be included in the Notice of Privacy Practices.
2. Distinguish what information the social worker can and cannot disclose without an individual’s written authorization.
3. Explain who is responsible for taking the steps needed to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of health information in health care provider’s EHR.
4. Describe what the first comprehensive security risk analysis should accomplish.
CE Course Objectives
1. Chapter 1
a. Why do privacy and security matter?
b. Increasing patient trust and information integrity through privacy and security
2. Chapter 2
a. Your practice and the HIPAA rules
b. Understanding provider responsibilities under HIPAA
c. Who must comply with the HIPAA rules?
d. The HIPAA privacy rule
3. Chapter 3
a. Understanding patients' health information rights
b. Patients' rights and your responsibilities
c. Designated record set
4. Chapter 4
a. Understanding electronic health records, the HIPAA security rule, and cybersecurity
b. The HIPAA security rule
c. How to keep your patients' health information secure with an EHR
5. Chapter 5
a. Medicare and Medicaid EHR incentive programs meaningful use core objectives that address privacy and security
b. General overview of Stage 1 and Stage 2 meaningful use
6. Chapter 6
a. Sample seven-step approach for implementing a security management process
b. How to get started on security
c. Sample seven-step approach for implementing a security management process
7. Chapter 7
a. Breach notification, HIPAA enforcement, and other laws and requirements
b. Civil penalties
c. Criminal penalties
d. Reporting breaches
e. Investigation and enforcement of potential HIPAA rules violations
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Texas Board of Social Workers
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2017-12-28