Vietnam Veterans and PTSD
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Considering that Vietnam Veterans constitute the largest living cohort of United States Veterans and are the modal users of US Department of Veterans Affairs services, understanding how the Vietnam Veteran generation is faring today in terms of behavioral, physical, and social health is a critical undertaking. This CE course provides a guide to the most recently published literature on well-designed epidemiological studies that focus on Vietnam Veterans’ health and well-being, including mental / behavioral and physical health outcomes among women and men and special populations (e.g., prisoners of war) who served in the war.
Author: Corry, N., Kulka, R., Fairbank, J., and Schlenger, W. Forty Years After the War: How are Vietnam Veterans Doing Today? (2016). National Center for PTSD. PTSD Research Quarterly, Vol 27, No 1.
Retrieved from: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/publications/ptsd_rq.asp
CE Course Objectives
1. List three factors that predicted a more chronic course for PTSD symptoms.
2. Provide the fatal disease that nurses in the Vietnam cohort had an almost 5-fold higher risk of developing.
3. Summarize the physiological health outcomes for those with Agent Orange exposure.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Population-Based Cohort Studies
a. American Legion Vietnam Veterans Longitudinal Study
b. National Survey of Veterans
c. National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment / Longitudinal Study
d. Vietnam Era Twin Registry
e. Health of Vietnam Era Veteran Women’s Study
f. Australian Vietnam Veterans Health Studies
2. Chemical Exposure
a. Reproductive outcomes
3. Repatriated Prisoners Of War
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-12-29