Patient Engagement and Group Therapy in PTSD Treatment
$8.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
For patients with PTSD to derive the greatest benefit from available evidence-based psychotherapies and psychiatric medications they must be able to fully engage in their treatment. This CE course describes factors that make patients more likely to engage in PTSD treatment and identify interventions that may improve patient engagement in PTSD treatment, with a focus on evidence-based treatments.
Author: Kehle-Forbes, S. and Kimerling, R. Patient Engagement in PTSD Treatment. (2017). National Center for PTSD. PTSD Research Quarterly, Vol 28, No 3.; Sloan, D. and Beck, J. Group Treatment for PTSD. (2016). National Center for PTSD. PTSD Research Quarterly, Vol 27, No 2.
Retrieved from: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/publications/ptsd_rq.asp
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the results of receiving hydrocortisone prior to prolonged exposure sessions.
2. Explain by which demographic Veterans may prefer peer support groups to be separated.
3. Evaluate how many motivational interviewing telephone sessions were needed to result in increased rates of mental health treatment initiation and greater treatment retention among VA-enrolled Veterans.
4. Identify the most frequent reason for treatment dropout given by soldiers with PTSD.
5. Name three determinants of mental health service initiation and/or retention.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Patient Engagement in PTSD Treatment
a. Factors Associated with Engagement
b. Interventions to Improve Engagement
c. Future Directions
d. Featured Articles
2. Group Treatment for PTSD
a. Trauma-focused Group Treatment for PTSD
b. Group Protocols that Address Comorbid Conditions
c. Limitations of the Literature and Future Directions
d. Featured Articles
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-01-14