CE Course Description
Heroin is a highly addictive opioid drug, and its use has repercussions that extend far beyond the individual user. This short CE course explains the effects heroin has on the body, the link between heroin use and prescription drug misuse, and the available treatments for heroin use disorder.
Author: National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): Heroin. (2018, March).; National Institute on Drug Abuse. Drug Facts: Heroin. (2018, June).
Retrieved from: https://www.drugabuse.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe methadone’s action in the brain.
2. Explain why highly pure heroin is more appealing to new users.
3. Identify what heroin is converted to once it enters the brain.
4. Provide the age range with the greatest increase in heroin use since 2007.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. What is heroin and how is it used?
2. What is the scope of heroin use in the United States?
3. What effects does heroin have on the body?
4. What are the immediate (short-term) effects of heroin use?
5. What are the long-term effects of heroin use?
6. How is heroin linked to prescription drug misuse?
7. What are the medical complications of chronic heroin use?
8. Why does heroin use create special risk for contracting HIV / AIDS and hepatitis B and C?
9. How does heroin use affect pregnant women?
10. What can be done for a heroin overdose?
11. What are the treatments for heroin use disorder?
ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-02-25