Clinical Supervision and Professional Development
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
Ohio Note: Ohio CSWMFTB has approved this course for supervision for their counselors and social workers only. MFTs may take it for General CE only.
Florida Note: This course has been approved by the Florida Board of Social Work, Mental Health Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapists for Supervision Continuing Education Credit. Hours are immediately reported to CE Broker for Supervisory CE hours.
All others: This course is acceptable for Supervison credit
CE Course Description
Supervision is necessary to improve client care, develop the professionalism of clinical personnel, and impart and maintain ethical standards in the field. This CE course focuses on teaching, coaching, consulting, and mentoring functions of clinical supervisors. Ultimately, effective clinical supervision ensures that clients are competently served. Supervision ensures that counselors continue to increase their skills, which in turn increases treatment effectiveness, client retention, and staff satisfaction.
Author: Centers for Substance Abuse Treatment. Clinical Supervision and Professional Development of the Substance Abuse Counselor. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 52. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4435. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-52-Clinical-Supervision-and-Professional-Development-of-the-Substance-Abuse-Counselor/SMA14-4435
CE Course Objectives
1. Give three examples of supervisor negligence.
2. Compare and contrast formative and summative evaluations.
3. Appraise three things a beginning supervisor should commit to memory.
4. Explain the first aim of clinical supervision.
5. Describe what a supervisor’s first step is when monitoring a counselor’s performance.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Part 1, Chapter 1
a. Principles of Clinical Supervision
b. Guidelines for new Supervision
c. Developmental Stages of Counselors and Supervisors
d. Ethical and Legal Issues
e. Monitoring Performance and Methods of Observation
2. Part 1, Chapter 2: Vignettes
a. New Approach for Clinical Supervision
b. Addressing Ethical Standards
c. Implementing Evidence-Based Practices
d. Mentoring a Successor
3. Part 2, Chapter 1
a. Key Issues for Administrators in Clinical Supervision
b. Legal and Ethical Issues for Administrators
c. Diversity and Cultural Competence
d. Implementing a Clinical Supervision Program
4. Part 2, Chapter 2
a. Assessing Organizational Readiness
b. Legal and Ethical Issues of Supervision
c. Supervision Guidelines
d. The Supervision Contract
e. The Initial Supervision Sessions
f. Evaluation of Counselors and Supervisors
g. Audio- and Videotaping
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-08-06