Suicide Prevention Treatment and Support
$18.00 | CE Hours:6.00 | Intermediate
This course meets the mandatory CE training in KY for OT's and OTA's. It is NOT approved for LPC's to meet the mandatory Suicide training.
CE Course Description
This CE course focuses on: healthy and empowered individuals, families, and communities; clinical and community preventive services; treatment and support services; surveillance, research, and evaluation; and the national strategy for suicide prevention goals and objectives for action.
Article Author: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Surgeon General and National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention. 2012 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action. (2012, September).
Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK109917/
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain where and when education efforts would help the suicidal person and his or her family members and/or support network maintain physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health and well-being.
2. Compare and contrast three protective factors and risk factors for suicide.
3. Describe how men and women differ in their thoughts about suicide and attempts or completion of suicide.
4. Identify three disorders most commonly linked to suicidal thoughts.
5. Conclude how acts of self-injury may impact suicidal behavior later in life.
6. Demonstrate how the goal of saving lives is measured.
7. List three recommendations for suicide prevention and identify which has been linked to the largest decrease in suicide rates.
CE Outline with Main Points
2. Strategic Direction 1: Healthy and Empowered Individuals, Families, and Communities
a. Integrate and coordinate suicide prevention activities across multiple sectors and settings
b. Implement research-informed communication efforts designed to prevent suicide by changing knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors
c. Increase knowledge of the factors that offer protection from suicidal behaviors and that promote wellness and recovery
d. Promote responsible media reporting of suicide, accurate portrayals of suicide and mental illnesses in the entertainment industry, and the safety of online content related to suicide
3. Strategic Direction 2: Clinical and Community Preventive Services
a. Develop, implement, and monitor effective programs that promote wellness and prevent suicide and related behaviors
b. Promote efforts to reduce access to lethal means of suicide among individuals with identified suicide risk
c. Provide training to community and clinical service providers on the prevention of suicide and related behaviors
4. Strategic Direction 3: Treatment and Support Services
a. Promote suicide prevention as a core component of health care services
b. Promote and implement effective clinical and professional practices for assessing and treating those identified as being at risk for suicidal behaviors
c. Provide care and support to individuals affected by suicide deaths and attempts to promote healing and implement community strategies to help prevent further suicides
5. Strategic Direction 4: Surveillance, Research, and Evaluation
a. Increase the timeliness and usefulness of national surveillance systems relevant to suicide prevention and improve the ability to collect, analyze, and use this information for action
b. Promote and support research on suicide prevention
c. Evaluate the impact and effectiveness of suicide prevention interventions and systems and synthesize and disseminate findings
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2014-04-23