Increasing the Effectiveness of Suicide Prevention Strategies
$0.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Suicide in the United States is continuing to increase. This CE course provides a snapshot of recent efforts to implement the goals and objectives of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention and makes suggestions for increasing the effectiveness of these implementation efforts.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: National Strategy for Suicide Prevention Implementation Assessment Report. HHS Publication No. SMA17-5051. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2017.
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain what is involved in an “enhanced care package” for reducing suicide rates.
2. Summarize what state and tribal stakeholders report as critical to their ability to learn from colleagues and implement National Strategy goals and objectives.
3. Identify two stable, comprehensive, and coordinated suicide prevention efforts states, tribes, and communities should consider building an infrastructure to support.
4. Describe one of the most successful suicide prevention interventions internationally.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. National Strategy for Suicide Prevention Goal-By-Goal Implementation Summary
a. Integrate and coorinate suicide prevention activities across multiple sectors and settings
b. Implement research-informed communication efforts designed to prevent suicide by changing knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors
c. Increase knowledge of the factors that offer protection from suicidal behaviors and that promote wellness and recovery
d. Promote responsible media reporting of suicide, accurate portrayals of suicide and mental illnesses in the entertainment industry, and the safety of online content related to suicide
e. Develop, implement, and monitor effective programs that promote wellness and prevent suicide and related behaviors
f. Promote efforts to reduce access to lethal means of suicide among individuals with identified suicide risk
g. Provide training to community and clinical service providers on the prevention of suicide and related behaviors
h. Promote suicide prevention as a core component of health care services
i. Promote and implement effective clinical and professional practices for assessing and treating those identified as being at risk for suicidal behaviors
j. Provide care and support to individuals affected by suicide deaths and attempts to promote healing and implement community strategies to help prevent further suicides
k. Increase the timeliness and usefulness of national surveillance systems relevant to suicide prevention and improve the ability to collect, analyze, and use this information for action
l. Promote and support research on suicide prevention
m. Evaluate the impact and effectiveness of suicide prevention interventions and systems and synthesize and disseminate findings
a. State, tribal, and community-level suicide prevention infrastructure
b. Blueprint for community action
c. Comprehensive state and community suicide prevention efforts
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 - 01/03/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 1.00 'General' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-02-19