Supporting Families Impacted by Mental Health Problems, Substance Abuse, and Trauma
$25.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Besides the difficult task of raising children—often while working full-time, many caregivers deal with added stressors such as mental health problems, substance abuse, and a history of trauma. The aim of this course is to build a responsive community: a community that has as its goal to respond as sensitively to the needs of a family as a committed caregiver does to his or her child.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Beth Maschinot, Ph.D., Julie Cohen, M.S.W.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the importance of the first few years of life and how early experiences impact the developing brain.
2. Evaluate how different types of stress affect children and families as well as protective factors that promote resilience.
3. Outline the steps of SAMHSA's Strategic Planning Framework in addressing mental health, substance abuse, and trauma issues that impact families.
4. Describe various community programs that have successfully impacted struggling and at-risk children and families.
5. Identify ways to design and adopt programs to meet the needs of diverse populations.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-01-09