Suicide - Assessment, Management and Treatment
$30.00 | CE Hours:6.00 | Intermediate
This course meets the mandatory CE training in KY for OT's and OTA's. It is NOT approved for LPC's to meet the mandatory Suicide training.
CE Course Description
The intent of this CE course is to: reduce current unwarranted practice variations and provide facilities with a structured framework to help improve patient outcomes (prevent suicide and other forms of suicidal self-directed violent behavior); provide evidence-based recommendations to assist providers and their patients in the decision-making process; and identify outcome measures to support the development of practice-based evidence that can ultimately be used to improve clinical guidelines.
Article Author: Ron Acierno, PhD Kathleen Chard, PhD Daniella David, MD Matt Friedman, MD (Co-Chair) Matt Jeffreys, MD Terry Keane, PhD Harold Kudler, MD Todd Semla, PharmD Sheila Rauch, PhD Josef Ruzek, PhD (Co-Chair) Steve Southwick, MD Murray Stein, MD. VA / DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide. (2013, June). Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense.
Retrieved from: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/mh/srb/
CE Course Objectives
1. Analyze the three different “risk of suicide attempt” classifications and the evidence that allows a patient to be put into each category.
2. Name three modifiers that increase the level of risk for suicide of any defined level.
3. Explain three objectives and goals of suicide risk assessment.
4. Relate three direct warning signs for the highest likelihood of suicidal behaviors occurring in the near future.
5. Identify the first priority for determining the care setting.
6. Conclude the strongest and most reliable predictor of future suicidal behavior.
7. Determine what should be done for patients at acute risk for suicide who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
8. Describe three items that should be included in family sessions and education to ensure optimal family engagement for the suicidal patient.
CE Outline with Main Points
a. Assessment and Management of Risk for Suicide in Primary Care
b. Evaluation and Management of Risk for Suicide by Behavioral Health Providers
c. Management of Patient at High Acute Risk for Suicide
3. Assessment and Determination of Risk for Suicide
a. Person Suspected to Have Suicidal Thoughts (Ideation), a Recent Previous Suicide Attempt, or Self-directed Violence Episodes
b. Assess Risk for Suicide
c. Assessment of Suicidal Ideation, Intent and Behavior
d. Assessment of Factors that Contribute to the Risk for Suicide
e. Determine the Level of Risk (Severity of Suicidality)
4. Initial Management of Patient at Risk for Suicide
a. Determine the Appropriate Care Setting
b. Securing Patient's Safety
5. Treatment of the Patient at Riskk for Suicide
a. Determine Treatment Plan
c. Suicide-Focused Psychotherapy Addressing the Suicide Risk
d. Psychotherapy for Co-occurring Mental Disorders Associated with Suicide Risk
e. Pharmacotherapy to Reduce Risk of Suicide
f. Pharmacological Treatment to Reduce Ris for Suicide in Patients with Mental Disorders
g. Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) in the Prevention of Suicide
6. Follow-up and Monitoring of Patient at Risk for Suicide
a. Follow-up and Monitoring
b. Reassessment and Monitoring
c. Adherence to Treatment and Follow-up care Strategies
d. Continuity of Care
e. Monitoring after Recovery
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2014-05-21