Advancing Community-Based Solutions for Justice-Involved People with Mental and Substance Use Disorders
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
The Sequential Intercept Model (SIM) was created to help communities understand and improve the interactions between criminal justice systems and people with mental and substance use disorders. This CE course lists data points and measures that are essential to addressing how people with mental and substance use disorders flow through that intercept. Common challenges with data collection and ways to overcome them, along with practice examples of how information is being used in the field is also discussed.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2019, August). Data Collection Across the Sequential Intercept Model (SIM): Essential Measures. PEP19-SIM-DATA.
References / Contributions by:
Griffin, P. A., Heilbrun, K., Mulvey, E. P., DeMatteo, D., & Schubert, C. A. (Eds.). (2015). The sequential intercept model and criminal justice: Promoting community alternatives for individuals with serious mental illness. New York: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/med:psych/9780199826759.001.0001
21st Century Cures Act, Pub. L. 114-255, Title XIV, Subtitle B, Section 14021, codified as amended at 41 U.S.C. 3797aa, Title I, Section 2991
Abreu, D., Parker, T. W., Noether, C. D., Steadman, H. J., & Case, B. (2017). Revising the paradigm for jail diversion for people with mental and substance use disorders: Intercept 0. Behavioral Sciences & the Law, 35, 380-395. DOI: 10.1002/bsl.2300
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Data-Collection-Across-the-Sequential-Intercept-Model-SIM-Essential-Measures/PEP19-SIM-DATA
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the important component of each of the six intercepts.
2. Determine when reentry planning begins.
3. Explain when the Sequential Intercept Model is most effective.
4. Provide three ways that communities can use the Sequential Intercept Model.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. The Sequential Intercept Model
a. History and Impact of the Sequential Intercept Model
b. Sequential Intercept Model as a Strategic Planning Tool
2. Data Collection Across the Sequential Intercept Model: Essential Measures
a. Intercept 0: Crisis Care and First Response Continuum
b. Intercept 1: Law Enforcement Calls and Responses
c. Intercept 2: Intake, Booking, and Bond Setting / Review
d. Intercept 3: Courts and Incarceration in Jail or Prison
e. Intercept 4: Reentry
f. Intercept 5: Community Corrections
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2020-01-06