Ethics, Confidentiality and Boundary Issues in Professional Counseling (UPDATED)
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This CE course describes the ethical behavior and responsibility to which counselors aspire by covering the following themes: the counseling relationship; confidentiality and privacy; professional responsibility; relationships with other professionals; evaluation, assessment, and interpretation; supervision, training, and teaching; research and publication; distance counseling, technology, and social media; and resolving ethical issues.
Article Author: American Counseling Association, Ethics Revision Task Force overseen by Marcheta Evans, Ph.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Identify the core professional values of the counseling profession and the main purposes of the ACA Code of Ethics.
2. Describe actions that professional counselors take to facilitate client growth and promote the development of healthy relationships.
3. Outline ethical and legal responsibilities pertaining to confidentiality and privacy, research and publication, ae well as technology and distance counseling.
4. Evaluate the counselor’s role in maintaining professional competence, complying with applicable standards, and protecting relationships with colleagues, employers, employees, and supervisees.
5. Discuss how professional counselors promote the well-being of clients by developing and using appropriate evaluations and assessments.
6. Review the procedures for resolving ethical conflicts and issues.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-04-10