Domestic Abuse in Later Life
$50.00 | CE Hours:10.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
CE Course Description
Domestic Abuse in Later Life presents five compelling stories of abuse in later life conveyed by the survivors themselves, amplified by interviews with the professionals who worked with them. Additional segments address emergency housing, support groups, and effective advocacy and three critical issues for older victims of abuse.
This CE course is based soley on the pdf guide provided. However, participants may benefit further from ordering and watching the DVD's that are available from the Office of Victims. Order via this link:
Article Author: Jane Raymond, M.S., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the characteristics and causes of domestic violence and sexual abuse in later life, including forms of abuse and abuser tactics.
2. Identify the roles of various systems and agencies who encounter elder abuse, such as adult protective services, health care systems, criminal justice professionals, and domestic abuse and sexual assault advocates.
3. Evaluate the role of power and control dynamics in elder abuse cases, while realizing the benefit of using a victim-centered approach that emphasizes empowerment.
4. Recognize how emergency housing, support groups, and effective advocacy can be used productively to assist older adult victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
5. Review case studies of elder abuse in order to acknowledge myths and justifications associated with these cases, while also identifying appropriate interventions for the victims.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-02-17