Confidentiality: 42 CFR Part 2 Final Rule Update 2018 for Alcohol and Drug Treatment
$12.50 | CE Hours:2.50 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
The purpose of the part 2 regulations is to ensure that a patient is not made more vulnerable by reason of the availability of their patient record than an individual with a substance use disorder who does not seek treatment. This CEU course addresses the prohibition on re-disclosure notice, and the circumstances under which lawful holders and their legal representatives, contractors, and subcontractors may use and disclose patient identifying information for purposes of payment, health care operations, and audits and evaluations.
Author: Department of Health and Human Services and SAMHSA
CEU Course Objectives
1. Explain why SAMHSA has adopted an abbreviated notice.
2. Examine why part 2 and its authorizing statute provides more stringent federal protections than other health privacy laws, including the HIPAA Rules.
3. Identify when lawful holders do not have to comply with section 2.33(c).
4. Describe when contracts may permit a contractor or subcontractor or voluntary legal representative to re-disclose information to a third party.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-01-30