Opioid Use Disorder: Pharmacotherapy
$27.00 | CEU Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
The United States is experiencing an opioid addiction epidemic. This CEU course describes general principles of opioid use disorder (OUD) pharmacotherapy and discusses medication formulations, indications, and dosing for the three FDA-approved medications used to treat OUD - methadone, naltrexone, and buprenorphine. Patient management and monitoring in outpatient settings other than opioid treatment programs as well as medical management of patients with OUD in hospital settings is also discussed.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medications for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-63-Medications-for-Opioid-Use-Disorder-Executive-Summary/SMA18-5063EXSUMM
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss the difference between mu-opioid receptor full agonists, partial agonists, and antagonist.
2. Enumerate five indications that a patient is suitable for home induction.
3. Explain why oral naltrexone is not widely used to treat opioid use disorder.
4. Investigate which OUD medication can be used during pregnancy.
5. Elucidate three indications that medically supervised withdrawal using buprenorphine or methadone is appropriate for patients.
6. Provide three contraindications to receiving XR-NTX.
Date Added: 2018-09-17
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.