Treating People in Homelessness Rehabilitation Settings
$10.00 | CE Hours:2.50 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course equips social workers who provide services to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and who need or are in substance abuse or mental illness treatment with guidelines to support their care. This course also discusses prevention and treatment as part of integrated care.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Behavioral Health Services for People Who Are Homeless. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 55. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4734. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2013.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-55-Behavioral-Health-Services-for-People-Who-Are-Homeless/SMA15-4734
CE Course Objectives
1. List three strategies a social worker could use to identify the most pressing issues and help the client stay focused on those issues.
2. Explain the Housing First model.
3. Summarize appropriate ways to intervene with a client who is being disruptive in a public place.
4. Consider how to engage people who are living on the street.
5. Judge the benefit of using the technique “over-reflecting.”
6. Describe what a social worker should do when working with a client who is overwhelmed.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Strategies and Techniques
a. Rapport and relationship building with a client who is difficult to reach
b. Housing First as an approach to provide safe and stable housing
c. Motivational interviewing (MI)
e. Match client and counselor
f. Service coordination with a local health clinic, a Federally Qualified Health Center
g. Structuring sessions
h. Behavioral interventions, including contingency management
i. Managing and setting limits on inappropriate behavior
2. Counselor Skills and Attitudes
a. Recognize and address ambivalence and resistance
b. Work as a member of a team to remove barriers to services
c. Emphasize client autonomy and development of skills
d. Show respect for both the client's needs and the organization's services
e. Help the client explore resources and determine which ones they would like to use
f. Recognize and accept the client as an active participant in prioritizing needs
g. Adjust strategies to suit client characteristics
a. Master clinician notes
b. How to summarize to your client
c. How to prepare a client for a conversation with a parole officer
d. How to engage people who are living on the street
e. How to work as a team member on an outreach and engagement team
f. What is a Federally Qualified Health Center?
g. How to intervene with a client who is being disruptive in a public place
h. How to keep a client focused
i. Trauma-informed care
j. How to use lists to keep clients focused
k. How to work with a client who is overwhelmed
l. How to handle late-shows and missed appointments
m. How to manage the stress of seeing clients who have multiple problems
n. How to help a client identify triggers for relapse
o. How to follow up role-play
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-21