Disaster and Trauma Psychological Recovery Skills for Social Workers
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Individuals affected by a disaster or traumatic incident, whether survivors, witnesses, or responders to such events, may struggle with or face new challenges in the weeks and months following the event. This CE course is designed to help survivors gain skills to reduce ongoing distress and effectively cope with post-disaster stresses and adversities.
Author: Berkowitz, S., Bryant, R., Brymer, M., Hamblen, J., Jacobs, A., Layne, C., Macy, R., Osofsky, H., Pynoos, R., Ruzek, J., Steinberg, A., Vernberg, E., & Watson, P. (2010). The National Center for PTSD & the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Skills for Psychological Recovery: Field Operations Guide.
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain what the social worker should do in order to respond to survivors in a compassionate and helpful manner.
2. List three survivors that should immediately be referred.
3. Evaluate the crucial first steps in using SPR with survivors.
4. Summarize the steps that should be used to prevent setbacks.
5. Identify the number of contacts that should be scheduled if an individual identifies a significant problem.
6. Describe the guidelines for clarifying problem areas with empathy.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Delivery Considerations
2. Core Skills
a. Gathering Information and Prioritizing Assistance
b. Building Problem-Solving Skills
c. Promoting Positive Activities
d. Managing Reactions
e. Promoting Helpful Thinking
f. Rebuilding Healthy Social Connections
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-28