Evidence-Based Practices for Preventing Childhood Abuse and Neglect
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Child abuse and neglect is highly prevalent and is associated with several risk factors. This CE course provides a select group of strategies based on the best available evidence to help prevent child abuse and neglect. The strategies represented include those with a focus on preventing child abuse and neglect from happening in the first place as well as approaches to lessen the immediate and long-term harms of child abuse and neglect.
Author: Fortson, B., Klevens, J., Merrick, M., Gilbert, L., & Alexander, S. (2016). Preventing child abuse and neglect: A technical package for policy, norm, and programmatic activities. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/technical-packages.html
CE Course Objectives
1. List three risk factors for child abuse and neglect.
2. Appraise which policies tend to have the largest impacts on health.
3. Consider three ways in which household financial security can be strengthened.
4. Explain what can be used to identify and address psychosocial problems in the family that serve as risk factors for child abuse and neglect.
5. Describe the social norm that is particularly relevant to preventing child abuse and neglect.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Strengthen Economic Supports for Families
2. Change Social Norms to Support Parents and Positive Parenting
3. Provide Quality Care and Education Early in Life
4. Enhance Parenting Skills to Promote Healthy Child Development
5. Intervene to Lessen Harms and Prevent Future Risk
6. Sector Involvement
7. Monitoring and Evaluating
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 1.00 'Clinical' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-01-01