Counselor Competence for Treating LGBT Clients
$25.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This CE course addresses the potential interaction among substance abuse, recovery issues, and the coming out process; the family dynamics that are important in working with LGBT individuals; the clinical issues and concerns specific to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and transgender clients; and the approach to assessment and treatment of LGBT youth.
Article Author: Emily McNally, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the primary goal of treatment.
2. Explain what professional counselors need to have awareness of in order to work effectively with LGBT clients.
3. Examine what is and is not appropriate to ask each client about during assessment.
4. Elucidate essential elements in prevention and treatment of substance abuse in LGBT youth.
5. Identify at which stage of treatment the counselor should suggest attendance at gay- or lesbian-affiliated AA or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings.
6. Describe the client behavior that is crucial to recovery from substance abuse.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-07-02