Suicide Prevention in High Schools
$30.00 | CEU Hours:10.00This course is not approved by NBCC for NCC certification renewal. To renew your NCC certification, view our list of NBCC specific approved courses.
CE Course Description
This toolkit was prepared for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) by the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD) in collaboration with Education Development Center, Inc. This toolkit was developed to assist high school personnel design and implement strategies to prevent suicide and promote behavioral health among students.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the roles of school personnel, parents, and mental health professionals in preventing suicide among students.
2. Describe strategies that can help students who are at risk for suicide.
3. Understand how to respond to the suicide of a student or other member of the school community.
4. Evaluate suicide prevention programs and activities that are effective for individual schools and that respond to the needs and cultures of each school’s students.
5. Determine how to integrate suicide prevention into activities that fulfill other aspects of the school’s mission, such as preventing the abuse of alcohol and other drugs.