Opioid Addiction Treatment: Pharmacology of Medications Used
$12.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The choice of medication used in medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for opioid addiction is based on safety and efficacy, patient preferences, and treatment goals. This CE course examines the pharmacology and clinical applications of the principal medications used to treat opioid addiction in opioid treatment programs (OTP).
Article Author: Steven Batki, M.D., et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain how methadone is able to accelerate its own metabolism in some individuals.
2. Investigate the serum methadone levels that are necessary to suppress drug cravings.
3. Examine which SSRI has the most potential to cause excessive serum methadone levels while patients are receiving it and decreased serum methadone levels after patients discontinue it.
4. Elucidate how buprenorphine may precipitate withdrawal.
5. Identify which medication cannot be administered daily because its duration of action would lead to accumulation of toxic levels in the body and could result in death.
6. Describe what a dosage adjustment should be based on when potentially interactive medications are coadministered.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-15